01 March 2013
MOTIVE TELEVISION PLC
("Motive" or the "Group")
("Motive" or the "Group")
General Business Update
Motive Television PLC ("Motive" or the "Company") announces a general business update.
The Company has evolved from its original single product, single client business to a software platform provider that provides its customers with the ability to manage the delivery of content across any network. Major recent developments include:
· Motive is currently in negotiation with Digiturk, the largest satellite broadcaster in Turkey relating to further contracts for support and maintenance and additional features which are related to the commercial launch of a service using Motive's software. We understand from Digiturk that the service, which has been soft-launched will begin rollout during 2013;
· Motive is working with terrestrial broadcast group CME to implement its Television Anytime Anywhere platform in CME's flagship market, the Czech Republic, utilizing the new DVB-T2 transmission standard rather than the existing DVB-T standard. Once implemented the CME service from Prague is expected to be one of Europe's most advanced platforms. CME has requested a number of extensions and additions to the platform that are expected to create additional revenues for Motive in 2013 and 2014;
· Motive has developed plans for implementing a fully functional and operational "alpha" technology for its Tablet TV joint venture with Granite Broadcasting. In 3-4 months Tablet TV is planning to exhibit viewing and recording of free-to-air television and receive data-cast movies and short form content over a live Granite television signal;
· Motive has unveiled its Proof of Concept (POC) for its Mocast software solution, which enables 4G LTE Mobile Operators to efficiently manage guaranteed scheduled downloading of video content to their OTT video subscribers, to a number of 4G/LTE mobile operators. The POC was shown to attendees at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona earlier this week;
· Earlier in February 2013, Motive announced its first contract with Siyaya, a new start-up broadcaster based in Johannesburg, South Africa. This first contract provides for Motive to advise Siyaya in the technical and product planning of their new service on the basis of monthly consulting fees, and assist Siyaya in its strategy to win a broadcast licence in South Africa. The licence process has been delayed in the past but our understanding is that a decision is now expected in June 2013.
· The Company expects to release its results for the year ended 31 December 2012 in June 2013. These results are expected to show turnover of approximately £1,000,000 for 2012.
Motive currently has three products derived from a common base of patented software and in the Board's opinion each one represents an exciting opportunity for rapid growth.
A. Broadcast Television: Providing value-added capabilities to digital terrestrial satellite broadcasters and cable companies that enable their offering video-on-demand, catch-up television, virtual channels, and other features to their pay television subscribers. Motive's technology has been in use by broadcasters since December 2009 and continues to be implemented in additional markets.
Motive currently has four contracted clients for the Television Anytime Anywhere® technology:
a. Mediaset, Italy's largest terrestrial broadcaster
b. Digiturk, Turkey's largest satellite pay television platform
c. CME, Central Europe's largest terrestrial broadcaster
d. Siyaya, a new broadcaster seeking a licence in South Africa
B. Tablet TV: By porting Motive's existing TV Anytime Anywhere software to an app for iPad, Android, and Microsoft tablets, and integrating our software with an antenna-tuner device, Motive has been able to develop the capability for tablet users to watch and record free digital television on their tablets just as they would on a television with a PVR-similar to the UK Freeview experience in the home. In addition, enabled tablets are able to receive optional "top-up" packages of movies, classic television series, sports, factual programs, etc. This product is being implemented first in the United States in partnership with Granite Broadcasting.
C. Mocast: Motive provides a software solution that enables 4G/LTE Mobile Operators to efficiently manage guaranteed scheduled downloading of video content to their OTT video subscribers. This enables the mobile operators to better manage and reduce peak congestion on their networks, thereby reducing distribution investment and costs, access otherwise lost revenues and increase ARPU.
Mocast was initially developed in Autumn 2012 in response to a request from a major 4G/LTE mobile operator and a multi-national consumer electronics company. Motive developed a Proof-of-Concept (POC) for Mocast in response to this request that was highly regarded by both of those organisations and anticipates this will lead to a field trial and subsequent implementation. Motive is discussing Mocast with additional mobile operators at the Mobile World Congress this week.
Motive Television plc
Michael Pilsworth, Chairman
Leonard M. Fertig, CEO
T: +44 20 7025 8425
Merchant Securities (Nominated Adviser)
Simon Clements / Virginia Bull
T: +44 20 7628 2200
XCAP Securities (Joint Broker)
T: +44 20 7101 7070
Newgate Communications (Financial PR)
T: +44 20 7680 6559
Chris Plunkett / Mike Smargiassi
T: +1 212 986 6667
T: +44 7774 860 011
Notes to Editors:
Motive Television provides software and services to the global television industry, enabling Television Anytime Anywhere. Motive's patented and proprietary technology platform responds to the heightened viewer demand for watching what they want, when they want, on whatever device they want; and is driven by the mandatory switchover from analogue to digital broadcasting as mandated by the International Telecommunication Union.
Motive Television provides broadcasters and pay television operators with enabling technology that provides opportunities to deliver highly-valued services to viewers that generate additional income and retain existing subscribers, comprising:
Television Anytime. A technology platform that enables digital broadcasters and pay television operators to offer enhanced broadcasting services with or without the need for an Internet connection. These services, include, among others, Video-on-Demand, Catch-Up TV, Virtual Channels, Sneak Preview TV, and Targeted Advertising. Television Anytime is currently in commercial operation in Europe both in digital terrestrial (DTT) and soon in satellite (DTH) environments. Patented in Spain and patent pending in the EU.
Television Anywhere. An advanced multi-screen multi-channel technology that allows a viewer to control and watch all the content received by or recorded in their main home television equipment on any computer, mobile phone, iPad or any other Internet connected device. Television Anywhere is software-based and can be updated via software upgrades on existing STB. US patent pending.
Motive's content division is:
Motive Television Limited, a Dublin-based award-winning independent production company that produces factual programmes for Irish broadcasters. It specializes in live sports production and sports documentaries and also produces factual and entertainment series.
Motive Television was founded in London in 2005 and its shares are quoted on the London Stock Exchange (AIM).